Hey guys, I'm a complete newb when it comes to building a server/NAS. I do have a technical background so I am willing to learn. I have been trying to research off and on for many weeks, but every time I get pulled into another topic I didn't know about. I think I understand the very basics of the hardware and software but I wanted to come to the experts for advice and recommendations.
So currently I have an old prebuilt running windows 10 with an 8TB HDD and a 250GB SSD. I've filled up about 90 percent of that HDD and there is only 1 HDD slot in that PC, so I thought now is a great time to upgrade.
- Uses: I want to build a server/NAS mainly for Plex, torrenting, and PC backups. For Plex, I just directly stream in 4k to a couple of TVs. I don't do any transcoding at the moment, but it would be nice if I had the ability to do 1-2 1080p streams, just in case. I would also want to maybe do some tinkering with windows/Linux virtualization and I want to get experience with docker.
- OS: I will probably run UnRAID because I like that I can just add in whatever drives I want, whenever I want. But I'm going to install Truecas Core on an old laptop I have, just to see how it works.
- Build: I've created a PCPP list of the stuff that I already have lying around and the parts that I think I need. As you can see I have some stuff lying around/parts I can recycle into this build. The GPU won't be going into this server till I get my hands on a 3070 (could be months). Also, I plan to use the SSD as a cache drive. For the boot drive I will prob use the USB from the list, but would that be overkill?
Some questions and concerns that I have:
- Are there any parts that I could upgrade that would make a big performance difference? Or any parts I can downgrade without a big hug in performance? I'm still undecided if I should go Intel or AMD, or if I need more CPU power. Please let me know your thoughts.
- Do I even need a GPU on this server? What are some use cases besides transcoding?
- I keep hearing that ECC memory is pretty important to server builds. Given that I already have non-ECC memory, do I need to buy some? Also, the memory is CL22... is that too slow?
- How would I get a VPN (NordVPN) to work? From what I understand docker containers run one app at a time. So if I have a container for qBittorrent, could I have another VPN container that could connect to the qBittorrent container?
Thanks for reading through this long newb post. I appreciate any feedback you guys have. Thanks!