I know this is what you’ve all been waiting for: Name Nerds Top names! There were 1,791 first names submitted for each gender. To compare here are the results from last year.
- Henry: 57 = 3.1%
- Arthur: 44 = 2.5%
- Theodore: 43 = 2.4%
- James: 41 = 2.3%
- Oliver: 34 = 1.9%
- Leo: 26 = 1.5%
- Sebastian: 21 = 1.2%
- Jack: 20 = 1.1%
- Benjamin, Ezra, Felix, Owen: 19 = 1.0%
- Eleanor: 28 = 1.6%
- Violet: 21 = 1.2%
- Charlotte: 20 = 1.1%
- Elizabeth: 18 = 1.0%
- Alice, Evelyn: 17 = 0.94%
- Lucy, Nora: 16 = 0.89%
- Matilda: 15 = 0.83%
- Caroline, Eloise, Josephine: 14 = 0.78%
- Same as last year, there were more unique girl names submitted than boy names, which fits national trends.
- Number of unique boy names: 659
- Number of unique girl names: 775
- The most popular letter was by far A. There were 77 unique boy names and 109 unique girl names beginning with A.
- The least popular letter for boys was Y with only two unique names
- The least popular letter for girls was Q with no names submitted
- Our youngest members are 12 (3 users). Their favorite names are: Gabriel and Felicity, Elliot and Calla, and Julian and Laura
- Our oldest member's (68 years old) favorite names are: Virgil and Melisende
Most popular names by region (Africa, Asia, and South America did not have any repeats):
- North America: Henry (50) and Eleanor (21). There were also 15 Nora/Norahs. Henry and Eleanor were the most popular last year as well. The next most popular boy names were Arthur, Oliver, and Theodore each with 31. The next most popular girl names were Charlotte and Violet each with 17
- Europe: Arthur(10) and Josephine (5). Last year Arthur was the top choice for Europeans. Alice and Matilda were tied for top, but this year Alice only received one vote and Matilda three.
- Australia/Oceania: Theodore (6), Lucy and Iris tied with 3
This was a new question this year! The most popular middle names submitted were very traditional. James blew every other choice out of the water (proving what I've always said that James is a filler middle for boys). There were a total of 1,738 boy and 1,744 girl middle names submitted.
- James- 175 = 10.1%
- William- 43 = 2.5%
- Thomas- 36 = 2.1%
- Alexander- 35 = 2.0%
- Michael- 31 = 1.8%
- Rose- 95 = 5.4%
- Elizabeth- 72 = 4.1%
- Jane- 53 = 3%
- Louise- 37 = 2.1%
- June- 34 = 1.9%
- Unique boy middle names: 622
- Unique girl middle names: 651
- The initial with the most unique entries was A for for both gender. 66 for boys and 64 for girls
- The initial with the most names total was J for both gender. 304 for boys and 213 for girls
Guilty Pleasure Names:
Another new section! You were asked your favorite guilty pleasure names- names you love but wouldn't use for whatever reason. Maybe because they're a little too "strange", perhaps too popular, too connected to a character, or not from your culture and wouldn't be appropriate.
In total, 3,513 boy and 4,442 girl names were submitted. 1,410 unique boy and 1,684 unique girl names. THIS is exactly why I limited you to only one favorite name; I knew people would go ham with no restraints😂
- Oliver- 39
- Orion- 34
- Henry- 31
- Caspian, Felix, Liam- 24
- Atticus, Fox, Noah, Sebastian, Theodore- 22
- Charlotte- 43
- Persephone- 42
- Juniper- 42
- Clementine, Luna- 38
- Ophelia- 36
- A lot of users mentioned the names they selected were guilty pleasures because of how popular they are (like #1 choices Charlotte and Oliver)
- 570 boy names and 670 girl names received at least 2 votes
- Some users also said broad styles, for example: flower names, double-barreled first names, pop culture based, classic mythology, feminine names for boys, city names, 80s names, and names ending in -ett
- The most popular first initial was, once again, A. 145 unique boy submissions and 209 unique girl submissions.
As always, I want to know what you think! Any surprises? Anything you suspected? Can't wait to hear!
Also, check out our new Name Nerd Nursery!
You will always be able to find links to the Nursery, Census, and Favorite Names at the top of the subreddit and in our wiki